If you’re already planning to see the new James Brown biopic, “Get On Up,” you’ve got at least two more good reasons to go: Two previously unreleased concert recordings will be on the soundtrack.
For Godfather fans, that’s big news. Concerts for “the hardest working man in show business” were his bread and butter. His 1963 album “Live At the Apollo” has influenced countless artists. Patti Smith quietly nestles a reference to Brown and his song “Lost Someone” into her song “Piss Factory.” It’s unclear if Smith was referring to the ‘Live at the Apollo” version… but we digress.
If you’re unsure whether o drop cash on a movie and a soundtrack, think of it like this: New live versions of “Please Please Please” and “It’s a Man’s Man’s Man’s World” have been out there, waiting, for too long.
The soundtrack is set for release July 29 on Polydor/UMe, while the movie will be in theaters Aug. 1.
GET ON UP: The James Brown Story (Original Motion Picture Soundtrack)
1. Get Up (I Feel Like Being A) Sex Machine
2. The Payback. Pt. 1
3. Out Of Sight
4. I Got You (I Feel Good)
5. Caldonia +
6. Please Please Please (Live) + — previously unreleased
7. Night Train (Live)
8. Papa’s Got A Brand New Bag, Pt. 1
9. It’s A Man’s Man’s Man’s World (Live) + — previously unreleased
10. Cold Sweat, Pt. 1
11. Mother Popcorn, Pt. 1
12. I Got The Feelin’ (Live)
13. I Can’t Stand Myself (When You Touch Me) (Live)
14. Say It Loud-I’m Black And I’m Proud, Pt. 1
15. Get Up (I Feel Like Being A) Sex Machine (Live)
16. Super Bad (Live)
17. Soul Power (Live)
18. Try Me (Live)
19. Please Please Please
20. Get Up Offa That Thing
All tracks produced by James Brown